Book Week Scotland is now over but there is still plenty of time to enter the “12 Words of Christmas/ Winter” competition.
Write a 12 word story on a seasonally appropriate theme. Multiple entries are allowed.
eg Homeless man gives his dog a Christmas bone, receives companionship in return.
There is chance to win an Amazon voucher in school or an iPod Touch in the national competition. Hand entries into the library by lunchtime on Friday.
- Keep an eye out for the recommended reads pictured around the school. Which pupils and staff are recommending which books?
- Enter the Reading Pets competition. Send the Scottish Book Trust a picture of your pet reading. Keep an eye out for the posters or ask a Librarian or English teacher for details.
- “12 Words of Winter” – write a 12 word Winter/Christmas/seasonal story. The deadline for entries is Friday 6 December. Hand entries into the library – multiple entries are allowed. Winners will receive a £10 Amazon voucher and the overall school winner will be put forward for the national competition and the chance to win an iPod Touch.
Here are some examples to set you thinking -
- The stormy blizzard attacked me with a drifting, sheer cold. Winter’s here.
- The angel watches from her Christmas tree protecting families, she’s always there.
Congratulations to Conor Ross 3G who has won second prize in the Focus Environment Photographic Schools Competition 2013, for his entry “Buzzing Bee” in the Wildlife and Habitats category. Conor will be attending an all-expense paid award ceremony in Edinburgh on Wednesday 27 November, courtesy of the sponsors Chevron. Well done!
The Queen’s Baton Relay is a much loved tradition of the Commonwealth Games. It was introduced at the British Empire and Commonwealth Games in Cardiff in 1958. From there, it has developed as a symbolic celebration of both unity and diversity, binding the 70 nations and territories of the Commonwealth with the message of peace and harmony through sports.
We have a truly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to select a pupil to carry the Queen’s Baton. Being chosen to carry the Queen’s Baton on behalf of our school will be a great honour. Click here to find out more about the competition: The Queen’s Baton Competition
On 4 December we will be sending donations from pupils to under-privileged children in Kosovo. All of the registration classes will be given separate age groups and genders that the donations will be targeted towards. Donations can be stationery for school, jewellery, toys, CDs, DVDs, games or clothes (socks, hats, gloves). Alternatively, a donation of £2 towards the children in Kosovo would be greatly appreciated. Please enclose these in a shoebox or bag. The pupils will be receiving more information about the appeal in their registration classes. Thank you for your co-operation.